They are many tactics that you can use to optimize your accounting website for search engines; one of the core ones is keyword optimization. Keywords tell search engines what your accounting website is about. Each and every page must contain keywords to tell a search engine what it is about.
It is vital that you pick the right keywords for your website. Pick the wrong ones and your website won’t appear on the accounting searches.
So, how do you pick the right keywords for your accounting website?
There is an array of keyword tools out there. The best and most common one is Google Keyword Tool. This is the best way to get keyword data from the most used search engine itself. Keywords are listed in terms of competition and number of searches. Filter your searches according to location if your accounting firm is not a national one.
Pick keywords that fit into your site from the list presented to you.
Use the Search Bar
Open Google and conduct a few searches yourself. We all have preconceived notions on what users are searching for. Break those notions and really find out what keywords they use and what searches they are conducting.
Google’s suggestion tool will prompt you query options, based on what other people are searching for. Google also has Related Searches which will help you expand your search by offering related search terms.
Also take a look at the keywords that your competitors are using. There are many SEO tools on the web that will help you analyze your competitor’s SEO and the keywords used. But, don’t just use all the keywords your competitors have used. Run them through the Google Keyword Tool, find out their stats and utilize the ones that will help your site.
Now that you have the required keywords, you have to use them right so that your accounting website gets a boost.
– Don’t Use all the Keywords: Don’t start with keywords that have high competition. Use the ones that have low or medium competition and slowly make your way up the search results. If you pit your accounting website against those at the top, your SEO won’t improve quickly enough. Take small steps. That is the best and strongest way to improve SEO.
– Avoid Keyword Stuff:The future is not far away when keyword optimization will become redundant. Search engines are focused more on context. Place keywords strategically – they should fit into your content, not stand and not lower the content quality. Don’t fill up your content with keywords. Worse, if Google suspects keyword stuffing, your site may get penalized.
– Long Tail Keywords: Long tail keywords are phrases of keywords, like – ‘Accounting services in Edmonton’. They give more context and search engines love context.
– Placement: Apart from your main body content, add keywords in your page titles, headlines, sub-titles, meta-descriptions and tags.
– Geo-Location: By using local terms or just adding phrases like ‘in Edmonton’, you geo-localize your site. This automatically narrows your search competition and gives you a higher chance of appearing at the top of search results.
Finally, keyword optimization is just one of the many tools that you can use to search optimize your site. Ensure you use all the available tactics to improve the SEO in your accounting website.
Ali Salman is an online marketing strategist who have worked with Coca-Cola, Extreme Pita, Mucho Burrito, KIA, Honda and other Fortune 500 companies. Ali Salman now heads Rapid Boost Marketing - Canada's fastest growing search marketing agency. RBM clients include Fortune 500's and medium size businesses across North America. Ali as RBM CMO leads his team in building and managing quality, high-performing and cost-effective interactive campaigns and programs for our company's customers and partners. In his career, he has significantly improved campaign performance for large brands such as Government of Alberta, Liberal Party, Workopolis, Cathay Pacific, as well as medium to large retailers and high-tech B2B-enterprise niches.
Ali and his team develop online promotional concepts that spark viral growth through search and social media for RBM clients, devising strategies that use search engines and more to reach key demographic segments in the ways they're most likely to be receptive. Ali Salman also oversees corporate marketing initiatives for Rapid Boost Marketing, including strategic communications counsel, public and analyst relations and client education programming.
About us and this blog
We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.